Arts and culture
Link Housing provides opportunities for residents to participate in arts and culture. Our arts and culture programs and activities are developed in consultation with residents who tell us their interests and needs through formal feedback and informal conversation.
- No Place Like Home art exhibition: Link Housing’s annual art exhibition highlights the importance of having a safe, secure and affordable ‘home’ and raises awareness about the need for more community housing. Residents and creatives from all over NSW contribute artworks around the theme ‘No Place Like Home’. Past patrons include well-known Sydney-based artist, Jane Bennett. The exhibitions are held in August/September each year. See the art exhibition page for more information.
- No Place Like Home resident art groups: Currently on hold due to COVID-19. Our free art classes run each week throughout Northern Sydney. Join us as our expert artist and Link Housing resident Dorina teaches the basics of art! No previous experience is required, and we provide morning tea and art supplies. We also proudly display and sell works from our groups at the annual No Place Like Home art exhibition. See more information, our locations and times, and book a place.
- Community Connections photo competition: Enter one photo showing what you love about your home or community, with a completed application form to be in the draw to win one of three $100 and five $50 gift cards. Read more and apply here: Enter photo competition for your chance to win.
Social outings and events
With events held throughout the year, Link Housing gives you access to free and discounted trips to Sydney’s local attractions and tours – and the chance to make lifelong friends! The last event of the year is our annual End of Year Party.
All residents are welcome to attend our events and we make every effort to cater for our elderly residents and those with a disability.
Our events and outings are advertised in the tenant newsletter, Community Link, on our website and on our Facebook page.
- End of Year Tenant Party: Each year we run an end-of-year party for our tenants at both West Ryde and Chatswood! Our parties have included Christmas treats, entertainment, prizes and more! See how this year’s party will be run differently due to COVID-19. More details to come in the next Community Link Tenant Newsletter.
- Neighbourhood Sessions: These Sessions are designed to improve your neighbourhood. Run at various properties throughout the year, residents are invited to come out and meet one another, as well as Link Housing staff over free morning tea and barista-made coffee. As well as socialising, you can ask any questions or give feedback to our staff. Find out more about the next series of Sessions.
- Virtually Linked: To keep our residents connected during COVID-19, Link Housing launched Virtually Linked, a free online hub where residents can access various programs such as gentle exercise workshops, art classes, cooking tutorials and Bingo!
Health and Fitness
We know that your health and well-being is important to you. Link Housing offers the following initiatives to help improvel the health and well-being needs of our resident community.
- LinkFit is a pilot program started in 2019. Twenty Link Housing residents of various ages are trialing an affordable three-month membership with a local gym.
- Annual Health and Well-being Survey: Link Housing’s Health and Well-being Survey helps us to understand how we can make a positive contribution to your health and well-being. The Survey is run in March/April each year.
Education and Employment
We know that education, training and employment empowers our residents to live a better life. We invest significantly in programs to support you to achieve your education and employment goals.
- Digital Discoveries: Link Housing runs digital classes for our social housing residents. Though some sessions are specifically for residents aged 55 years and older, others are open to all. Bring along your device and your questions as you learn simple skills to help you feel happy and safe online. Also enjoy time socialising and sharing laughs with fellow residents over morning or afternoon tea. See more information here: Digital classes for senior residents to start again
- Tenant Employment Incentive Scheme (TEIS). To support residents who start earning an income through employment, Link Housing will work with you to make sure you do not immediately lose your rental subsidy.
- Scholarship Program: Link Housing has awarded numerous scholarships over the years. Our Scholarship Program is used to assist in a wide variety of studies and extra-curricular programs including music, soccer, creative writing, psychology and business. Applications open in July/August each year.
Community gardening and competitions
To support the many Link Housing residents who enjoy gardening, getting out in the fresh air and making friends, we run two special programs:
- Community gardening
- The annual gardening competition
Download the Community Greening Fact Sheet to find out more.
Need more information?
If you would like more information about any of the above programs, please get in touch with our Client Services or Community Programs team (02) 9412 5111.