Paying your Rent

All tenants are expected to pay their rent in advance as per the terms of the lease.

Tenants can make payments of rent to Link Housing using one of the following methods:

  • Using the Centrepay facility through Centrelink, a free option for tenants which will be arranged at your lease signup, (this option is not available to all tenants, please contact Link if you wish to pay your rent using the Centrepay facility) or
  • By using the deposit book supplied at the lease sign up and directly depositing the money into the Commonwealth Bank, or
  • Netbank transfers to the account of Link Housing, or
  • By arranging your bank to make the payments for you using direct deposit.
  • An EFTPOS facility is available at the office of Link Housing for deductions from bank accounts. Credit card payments are not accepted.

Cash payments are not accepted at the office of Link Housing.

How is my rent calculated?

If you are a social housing tenant and entitled to receive a rental subsidy your rent will be calculated on your income at least twice a year. Further information is contained in the How We Calculate Your Rent Factsheet.

What if my rent falls behind?

If your rent falls into arrears you will be contacted by your Housing Manager and asked to make a payment to rectify the arrears in full.  If you are unable to do this you are required to contact your Housing Manager to come to a Repayment Agreement.  If your rent remains in arrears and you have not made contact with your Housing Manager you may be issued with a Notice to Remedy which will give you a set period of time to pay your arrears or negotiate a repayment agreement.

If you do not respond to the Notice to Remedy and have not paid your arrears and your rent is now more than two weeks in arrears, you will be issued with a Termination Notice.  Your Housing Manager will apply to the NSW Civil and Administrative Tribunal (NCAT) for a hearing to determine a Specific Performance Order (SPO) by negotiation with you.  If you are unable or unwilling to come to an agreement with your Housing Manager for repayment of your debt, or if you do not comply with the conditions of the SPO, Link Housing may apply for an order to end the tenancy. See Link Housing’s Managing Rent and Other Arrears Policy.

Tenants have the right to Appeal decisions made regarding rents and arrears through the Link Housing Complaints and Appeals process.

What is the NCAT?

The NCAT (NSW Civil and Administrative Tribunal) is a specialist, independent accessible Tribunal which, firstly, assists parties to come to a fair and timely resolution of residential tenancy disputes including rental arrears, property damage and more, in compliance with the Residential Tenancies Act 2010. Link Housing will only access hearings at the NCAT when we are unable to come to an agreement with the tenant. (For further information visit the NCAT website @  

Support at the NCAT?

Tenants who are facing a hearing at the NCAT can request assistance from a tenancy advisory service. Tenants who live in the Northern Sydney area can contact the Northern Sydney Area Tenant Service (NSATS) for assistance, they can assist tenants with any matters that can be heard at the NCAT.  NSATS can be reached on 9884-8558 or visit the website